Sunday 25 May 2008

Upgrade to Hardy Heron

With my essays for the year out of the way, it then became time to upgrade to Hardy Heron. Since the previous upgrade went so smoothly, I decided to do another upgrade rather than a complete reinstall.

The upgrade took about two and a half hours: an hour to download and then the rest to update. If I didn't have Tex installed, I think it would have been considerably faster.

Problem: Wireless did not come back up :-(
The hardware driver wizard popped up and recommended the Broadcom B43 driver. After some initial reluctance (I have previously spent days trying to get wireless to work) and some searching in the ubuntu forums, I decided that this was probably the simplest option. Plugging in the trusty Cat 5 ethernet cable and clicking 'enable' meant that the driver was downloaded. A quick reboot and all was in order.

Alternative solutions can be found here and here and here.

It is possible that if the bandwidth via this driver is worse than I am used to I will go down the ndiswrapper route instead, but for now this will do fine.

What have I noticed that is different?
Firefox is now a late beta of version 3. Seems rather nice, particularly the list of pages that comes up when you start typing in the address bar. Needs more exploration before I can say much more about it.

New icons for OpenOffice documents. A small change, presumably OpenOffice has moved up a version too.

I'll report back on anything else I notice later.

No comments: